Please click on the photos to enlarge them for detailed viewing!

Sunday, August 19, 2007

First Day in BANGALORE!!!

Well, I arrived in Bangalore several hours ago, and have just found the nearest internet cafe down the street from my house. Out on the street (9pm) it is alive with horns, motorcycles, a few dogs and cows, and many folks walking in conversation.

My assigned "helper", Mr. Nagaraj, just dropped me off on his motorcycle, and headed home for the night. He and his 4-yr old son Siddarth came by at 7 to take me out to a nearby restaurant for dinner... Nagaraj driving, Siddarth sitting between his Daddy's legs on the gas tank, and me hanging on the back.... He informed me that "helmets in Bangalore are a must... it is compulsory!" But only for the drivers.... not the riders! So we zoomed through the busy streets,swerving and braking to avoid the chaotic traffic. He's been helping me to learn a few words of Hindi, and I accidentally taught him a few inappropriate English words when a huge bus almost flattened us. I don't think I'll be biking to work!

I got to Delhi on Weds, had an all day orientation session Thurs. with all 8 American exchange teachers... then today (Fri.) we all flew off to our respective cities. I'm the only one in Bangalore. Others are going to Delhi, Chennai, Pune, Hyderabad, etc...

First impressions of Bangalore from up in the air.... "It's so GREEN!" Huge trees everywhere and many coconut palms. Walking off the plane I rejoiced in the cooler climate..... Delhi was pretty stifling and hot! Bangalore is certainly humid and hot/warm, but reletive to Delhi it is quite nice! Then we got on a bus to take us from the plane to the terminal, and about 20 peoples cell phones began ringing... all those cute little electronic Mozart and Beethoven ditties chiming away, with 20 people all pulling out there phones and firing up conversations in 5 different languages! Nice climate, Palm Trees, and Cell Phones! Anyway, all of the people I've met have been wonderfully kind and helpful. Our house is big and will work out fine... after some cleaning and provisioning! Tomorrow I'm off to see the school, and to address the "morning assembly" of 2400 students! I'm not sure how much of a speech they'll be expecting, but I'm sure I can adapt! So far so good. I'll keep you posted!
-Paul

No comments: